Low-Carb Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

cmumarc

Low-Carb Beer

Post by cmumarc »

Hello. My Dr. recently put me on a low carb diet. Does anyone have a recipe for a low carb beer?
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

ouch.

Post by zeno »

Wine maby?

Pretty much, I think the more malt you put in the beer the more carbs it will have.

You ever tried Michelobe Ultra? I don't know if I would want to spend hours of my day brewing that stuff. I can get water from the tap. :0/
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

beano...

Post by dartedplus »

i had read about the affect of beano in fermentation several times in BYO. So I brewed a dark brown wheat beer and used some of it and it finished at about 1.006. So according to the article, using the beano drastically reduces the amount of carbs and calories. I think it tastes very light for a dark beer. I forget which issue it is but you can probably find it online.
Ed
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Low Carb Homebrew?

Post by fitz »

In making a low carb--light beer, the brewer essentially take out whatever is healthy in the beer, this leaves you with alchohol and water.
I would think if you wanted to make a "lower carb beer" You would first have to start with a pilsner malt, not put any specialty grains in(they add body, and carbs) and then also add some amylase enzyme to the wort at pitching time so it could convert any additional non fermentables. Other than that, you may be able to filter some additional, but I don't see you making a low carb beer without it being a bland flavorless brew. maybe try the addition of extra hops so it has some flavor.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not bittering hops

Post by jayhawk »

Hops would definately add flavour to a light beer, but make sure you do not increase bittering hops. The lack of malt character in a light beer would make for a hell of an unbalanced bitter swill if you upped the bittering hops. Therefore, any extra hops should be added in the last 0 to 5 mins, or dry hopped.
j boy

low carb

Post by j boy »

fitz is right. It is all about the amaylase enzyme. Keep the abv below 4%.
kci5477

Low Carb Beer Powder

Post by kci5477 »

Check out www.iwantmybeer.com
They just released their low carb powder.

kci5477