Low-Carb Beer

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

Low-Carb Beer

Postby cmumarc » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:11 pm

Hello. My Dr. recently put me on a low carb diet. Does anyone have a recipe for a low carb beer?
cmumarc

ouch.

Postby zeno » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Wine maby?

Pretty much, I think the more malt you put in the beer the more carbs it will have.

You ever tried Michelobe Ultra? I don't know if I would want to spend hours of my day brewing that stuff. I can get water from the tap. :0/
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

beano...

Postby dartedplus » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:06 pm

i had read about the affect of beano in fermentation several times in BYO. So I brewed a dark brown wheat beer and used some of it and it finished at about 1.006. So according to the article, using the beano drastically reduces the amount of carbs and calories. I think it tastes very light for a dark beer. I forget which issue it is but you can probably find it online.
Ed
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Low Carb Homebrew?

Postby fitz » Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:28 am

In making a low carb--light beer, the brewer essentially take out whatever is healthy in the beer, this leaves you with alchohol and water.
I would think if you wanted to make a "lower carb beer" You would first have to start with a pilsner malt, not put any specialty grains in(they add body, and carbs) and then also add some amylase enzyme to the wort at pitching time so it could convert any additional non fermentables. Other than that, you may be able to filter some additional, but I don't see you making a low carb beer without it being a bland flavorless brew. maybe try the addition of extra hops so it has some flavor.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not bittering hops

Postby jayhawk » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:07 am

Hops would definately add flavour to a light beer, but make sure you do not increase bittering hops. The lack of malt character in a light beer would make for a hell of an unbalanced bitter swill if you upped the bittering hops. Therefore, any extra hops should be added in the last 0 to 5 mins, or dry hopped.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

low carb

Postby j boy » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:57 am

fitz is right. It is all about the amaylase enzyme. Keep the abv below 4%.
j boy

Low Carb Beer Powder

Postby kci5477 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:39 pm

Check out www.iwantmybeer.com
They just released their low carb powder.

kci5477
kci5477

Return to Ingredients, Kits & Recipes