Bean? Stout

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bean? Stout

Post by fitz »

Seems to me I read a recipe somewhere for a Bean Stout.
A stout made with the addition of dried beans. I know, its not like you beer or beans isn't bad enough by themselves, but you have to add them together. Anyhow, I am going over some Stout recipes, since summer is winding down, and that one intrigued me. Although, I can't remember where I saw it.
Anyone have any such animal in their recipes?
StranegBrew
Light Lager
Light Lager

Coffee Stout?

Post by StranegBrew »

Bean stout? I sure hope it isn't butter beans, did they mean coffee beans perhaps? I have seen a recipe where a quart of strong coffee was optional to be added into the wort. Supposedly would make a quite addictive tasting stout. If there is some other kind of recipe with just regular beans i would be really interested to know what quality that would lend to the beer, as well as where the heck someone got that idea from.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Its not Coffee

Post by fitz »

It wasn't a coffee been recipe. Besides that, the oils in coffe is supposed to kill head retention. I have to assume(there's that word)that the recipe author figured that the starches in the beans could be converted into fermentables and would be a diff. addition to their beer. I am not sure the outcome, but I would like to know how this beer turned out. Call it a strange curiosity. I would think it would cloud the beer, but with a stout you wouldn't notice it. some old home recipes call for potatoes and raisins, not something I would readily choose to put into my beer.