What makes an "Octoberfest" beer?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

What makes an "Octoberfest" beer?

Post by zeno »

Yes, the noobie is back asking noobie questions!

I'm wanting to make a good seasonal beer, and october is right around the corner.. Only problem is, I have no idea what makes a good autum brew. What are the traditional base ingredients? What flavors would one normally attempt to achieve?

For the record, I'm an extract brewer with less than a year's experience under my belt (about 12 brews so far). I normally steep about 1-2 pounds of grain, and do the hops thing, and the light malt extract thing.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Malty Redish to Brown

Post by fitz »

Octoberfest beer is a malty Reddish to brown beer made with noble German hops. In the recipes, there is a portion dedicated to Octoberfest/Marzen. If you haven't got the ingredients yet, I know Williams brewing has a malt syrup called Munic Malt. It is a blend of Munic, and Moravian Pilsner malt. This would be a good base. Add a little and some hallertau and you would have the makings of an authentic Octoberfest. Look at my Octobeerfest Recipe, and instead of the first two grains, add the Munick malt from Williams, and a LB of Amber DME. This should get you in the ballpark.
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Can't seem to find it

Post by zeno »

Thanks for the info, it's exactly what I wanted to know. Unfortunately, it looks like the Munick malt you speak of isn't currently listed on Williams website. Now that I know what's in it though, I'm sure I can find some viable alternatives. Thanks!
richanne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Try here

Post by richanne »

Munich malt is available at http://www.bradyshomebrew.com
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

German Gold

Post by fitz »

The extract named German Gold is the blend of Moravian pilsner and Munick Malts. This is the one you want!
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Quick recipe

Post by fitz »

German Gold(Williams Brewing Extract)6LB Pouch
Amber DME 1 LB
CaraMunicII Malt 1 LB (steeped)
1.3 OZ Hallertau (60 min)
.5 OZ Hallertau (1 min)
A Clean finish yeast
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thankyouverymuch

Post by Freon12 »

Elvis wants to try it so I will make it next week!

S.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hey Steve

Post by fitz »

Hey Steve,
Judging aging times, should be ready for Octobeer.
I need something special to try for Novembeer, and a Christmas recipe for Decembeer.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Vyskov

Post by Freon12 »

Try my Vyskov for November and one called Imperial for Decembeer.
I always wanted to make that pumpkin beer for November, but I chickened out.

I highly recommend the Imperial, it took 5 batches to get the recipe to taste like chocolate covered cherries with an alcohol background.

Enjoy!

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Have I mentioned

Post by fitz »

Have I mentioned I live in the homebrew waste land. The Homebrew shops around here are completely awful. Everything I ask for, they tell me they can order it for me. Then you are talking a premium price.
They don't know I can order it myself?
Anyway, thanks for the recipes. I'll have to wait to try them since the ingredients aren't readily available. I'll order the stuff, and while I'm waiting I'll make a Pilsner with Moravian Pilsner malt that I have on hand. I already have Octobeer fest waiting in a secondary alongside a robust red beer I kind of winged that one Probably a little more hoppy than a normal red beer, but who said I'm normal.
zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

CaraMunic II?

Post by zeno »

Only one thing sucks about this.. I'd have to order the CaraMunic II from a different site. Doesn't look like William's has it. Am I just missing it somewhere or what?