Boulevard, KC

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Boulevard, KC

Post by wouldy »

I have recently found a great american wheat beer, Boulevard Wheat from the Kansas City brewery. I think it is a great tasting beer. I have tried twice to make a wheat beer homebrew and both times the brew was very heavy. I am trying to produce a smooth, lightish tasting wheat similar to the boulevard type, can anyone out there in forum land suggest a recipe or have any general tips for brewing wheat beer?
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hefe is the word!

Post by Freon12 »

I make wheat beers at near 50% wheat 50% Barley in the German tradition. I like Hefe cloudy but light so I make sure my water has a lower PH by boiling all the brew water first(sometimes I filter) this should also work for American.

Use a stronger converting barley or possibly a good 6 row type and American wheat yeast liquid. Some use rice hulls for lautering wheat.

As far as recipes, there are some good ones in the recipe section of the forum, stay with the ones that are close to style at 90% or above.

I also have been attempting an american wheat, like OBERON. I have failed due to the wrong yeast strain, and the wrong malted wheat.

Hope that helps,
Steve
broon
Light Lager
Light Lager

Boulevard Wheat Clone

Post by broon »

The local homebrew shop...Home Brew Pro Shoppe...has an extract clone. I have not brewed it but I've heard good things about it. They do have mail order.