Listerman

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Listerman

Post by joemez »

I just found this website http://www.listermann.com
they have extract beer kits (which is what I am doing at this point) most for under $20!
Has anyone ever bought from this site? Was wondering of the quality of the ingredients and if this is the deal it appears
thanks
CannonFodder

nothing but praise here

Post by CannonFodder »

A fellow employee and I have gotten a couple of kits from them and I have been very happy with them.

Listermann Manufacturing is actualy just down the road from my employer, and I have always just driven over, so unfourtunatly I cannot comment on thier shipped kits.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Never dealt with them but,

Post by fitz »

I have never bought through Listerman, but I have been quite impressed with William's Brewing Company, so I haven't been searching. They have everything from beginner kits to full mashing and anything in between. Their service is great too.
You have said you are "just" doing kit brewing. Are the kits you do pre hopped or are you doing hop additions? Try an extract kit with hop additions, and see how you like the results. The more familiar you get with the brewing process, the more enthusiatic you'll get, its kind of like a sickness. Be careful, I'm completely hooked.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

kits

Post by joemez »

I kits i've used, I add the hops(pellets usually) and sometimes they have grains. I think I will get more into this as I go but for now doing extract brewing is about all I can handle. I dont have the space for something more involved, and If I mess up the kitchen any worse than I do my wife is gonna kill me. Hopefully with the prospects of a bigger house, I can set up an area with a sink, burner and counter just for doing this.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

The reason for the ???

Post by fitz »

There are some great extract recipes on this site.
Many times, even though you are extract brewing, you can get better beer with smaller cost. Check out some of the recipes here, then look into buying the malt hops, and caps seperately. This will also give you a little more variety in your brews. If you want more, or less hops, you can add or delete some of them in the next brew. Just keep good records, so you can keep track of your great successes, or avoid other problems.
Have fun with it.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

recipes

Post by joemez »

I certainly intend to work from a recipe when I get better at this but for now I like just reading directions and having everything all measured out for me. I know... lazy, but it works for now. By the way, the recipes on this site look great. It is incredible that you guys are so willing to share. If anyone has some suggestions for some easy ones that they like I'm all ears
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

What Style

Post by fitz »

What Style are you into, or are you like most of us, like different style at diff. time of year, or diff occasions.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

styles

Post by joemez »

I am a big fan of hops, so I like IPA's a lot. I also like brown ales and stouts. This time of year a lighter beer is nice. not much into wheats(although Ive never had a wheat homebre)
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

With a little substitution

Post by fitz »

Here is a decent recipe:
Since you are doing extract brewing, order the Marris Otter extract from Williams Brewing. It comes in a 6 pound pouch, add a pound of light DME, and youll be close to the mashing O.G.
12.20 lbs. English 2-row Pale
0.45 lbs. British Crystal 55
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I should have said

Post by fitz »

I should have said a pound or two of DME
That would be more consistent with the recipe.
Depending on the malt syrup and the dme, you may have to add 2 lbs instead of one. IPA's are supposed to be hoppy, and full or Alc.
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

a bit confused

Post by joemez »

did you mean to use the Marris Otter extract and a pound of light DME instead of all the other ingredients or use all the other ingredients?
sorry if this is a stupid question
also, I have never used a liquid yeast before like wyeast. Does it make a big difference over dried yeast?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sorry

Post by fitz »

The Marris otter and the 1-2 pounds of DME are a substitute for the all grain in the recipe. You still need the hops selections at the appropriate times.
Liguid yeast is a purer form of yeast. You do not have as much potential for contamination or off flavors as you do with dry yeast. On the other hand, dry yeast is easier to store, and you can keep it longer. You can use a dry yeast in that recipe, but try to use a clean tasting Nottingham of Safeale S33, maybe even a Muntons gold.
Good Luck
joemez
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

thanks

Post by joemez »

I will try that recipe. but i just got a couple kits in the mail that I'm gonna fire off first.