Belgian Steam?

Grains, malts, hops, yeast, water and other ingredients used to brew. Recipe reviews and suggestions.

Moderator: slothrob

wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Belgian Steam?

Post by wouldy »

I was at the chicago beer convention last month and recieved a few samples of WyEast, and am wondering how to use them, maybe you guys could help?

I realy like California Steam beer. I have received a belgian lager yeast, and am wondering if this would taste OK? I don't have the capacity to brew lagers and don't want to waste this yeast, but I also don't want to waste about $30 if this marriage would not work out.

Next I received an american ale yeast, and was wondering if it would work in a Sierra Nevada Pale ale clone? And if it would, has anyone got a clone recipe for that?

Thanks in advance,
Rusti
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Are you sure?

Post by fitz »

You say it is a Belgian LAGER Yeast?
I know of Belgian ales, Lambics, Wheats, but didn't know of a belgian lager yeast strain by Wyeast.
Anyway, if it isn't a Lambic yeast, it should do fine. Try it and tell us your results
wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Bohemian Steam

Post by wouldy »

Ah, upon further inspection it is bohemian lager yeast. Sorry, about that. I will give it a try. Should i use any cali common beer recipe and just switch the yeasts?

Anyone heard of a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Probably closer

Post by fitz »

Probably closer to the original than you suspect.
As stated before steam beer was originally formed from the settlers in Cali. that tried to make beer as they knew which was a lager, but they didn't have refridgeration. Most likely they were German immigrants, so the Bohemian lager yeast is probably a good choice for historic correctness.