I have come across a commercial keg.

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

mnollar

I have come across a commercial keg.

Post by mnollar »

I have come across a commercial keg and I need some ideas on what to do with it. It has a couple of gallons left in it from a party that happened 2 years ago. A tenant of mine moved out and left it. I asked my local homebrew joint, but they gave me the lecture about it being the property of the commercial brewery. I would really like to use it to keg my own brew, but from what I have heard it is somewhat dangerous and hard to get open. I have tried to open it without success. Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

What kind is it?

Post by Brewer2001 »

True it keg is the property of the brewery that has it's name imprinted in the keg. However the keg may have been sold as surplus many times over. The brewery where I work has a lot of kegs with different brewery names, some of which are dear to my heart like F.& M. Schaefer and Ballentine.
Now to determine if you can use it. If it is a Golden Gate (having a side bung and two valve openings) you can use it for your beer. If it is a Hough Stevens you can still use it but need to get the valve. If it is a newer Sankey (one 'ball valve fitting on the top) you will have a hard time cleaning and filling it. If it is an old Peerless (a filling bung and a small bunged cam type fitting on top) cut it, junk it or use it for a lamp.
In any case you could always have the top cut off and use it as a mash tun or kettle. Is it a 1/2 barrel (15.5 Gal.) or a 1/4 barrel (7.5 Gal.)

In any case you should get the beer out of it. Let me know what you have and I can tell you how to do it.

Good brewing,

Tom F.
mnollar

It the newer sankey type.

Post by mnollar »

It the newer sankey type. I figured it wouldn't work, so I'm thinking about cutting the top off and use it as a brew kettle. It is the 15.5 Gal type. Any suggestions on how to properly cut the top off? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

easy to open, clean

Post by canman »

Sanke kegs areeasy to adapt to hom brew dispensing. They are aso very easy to clean. Ceck out this page, it will give all he info
http://physics.arizona.edu/~workman/homebrew/Sanke.html
mnollar

Thank You

Post by mnollar »

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the help.

Mike