Question: What are the "do's & Don'ts" to start kegging

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Question: What are the "do's & Don'ts" to start kegging

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Hi beer team,

I want to start kegging and have been doing a lot of reading on the subject. I am shopping for a chest freezer to serve as my lagering cabinet and beer dispensing cabinet, along with temp. controller. What are some of the things that happen to you and you wish you avoided or had asked for help.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

My Thoughts

Post by BillyBock »

Hi, Paul.

Plan on condensation buildup in the chest freezer, if it's out in the garage plan on even more condensation. Before turning it on for the first time, get some silicon sealant (tub and tile kind) and seal all open seams inside the freezer. Put some humidity control agents in there as well, such as Damp Rid. The silicon will keep rust from forming between the seams. I noticed this a little too late. Then plan on a way to remove this moisture, whether through the drain valve, or mopping it up with towels, etc.

Build a wooden collar for your freezer so you don't have to permanently modify it. Believe it or not, mine is built from 2x10s. My lid brackets were 8" long and I wanted to make sure it screws went into wood. Since I have so much extra wood, I insulated it and have added a small fan inside to circulate the air and maintain fairly even temperature throughout.

I'm still in the construction phases though, but I am using it to ferment/lager/serve. My serving consists simply of picnic taps right now :-( But I'd suggest getting a gas manifold with integrated ball valves and check-valves so you can have all your kegs hooked up at once. It's a PITA to apply gas to a single keg at a time--especially when you're trying to get ready for a party.

When getting a freezer, look for the size you think you're gonna need, then get something bigger. I have a 15 cu. ft., and now it's starting to seem small (LOL). Of course, if I didn't plan on placing my 15 gal conical in there, I'd be able to get more kegs in there. If it only held kegs, it would comfortably hold 6 on the floor (maybe 8), and 2 on the compressor hump (remember I have a TALL collar, so they'll stand up there no prob).

Hope this helps, if I think of anything more I'll post again.

Cheers!

v/r
Bill
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

buy all you need first

Post by canman »

Hi Azore: I would suggest getting everything you need in one shot, otherwise it will nickle and dime you to death. For multiple kegs I would definately recommend secondary regs for each one. That way you can adjust carbonation of individual kegs. Pricey yes, worth it? Yes. Kegs kegs and more kegs. You can't have enough. You'll find that out when you realise your increase in beer consumption via the tap. (Barney syndrome)Good luck! you'll never go back