Caustic cleaning

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

Caustic cleaning

Post by brakspears »

Anyone out there point me in the right direction here, how many ounces of caustic soda pearls should I add to each gallon (imperial) of water (or could be Grammes/Litre) to clean my copper, and having just read about some of the other brewery cleaners now available I'll not be getting any more caustic, thanks for your time, Nigel.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Hardcore

Post by Fraoch »

Caustics pretty hard core stuff, as with anything,less is more,so if i were to use it, id use the least possible, then rinse and rinse and rinse and...........I must admit, i dont particularly worry about cleaning the copper too much, i normally use a high pressure hose to blast off any hop residue etc and i give it a rub around with a soft scourer, but i dont bother getting the inside "bright" as i like to go with the idea of the chinese tea pot, the older the pot, the better the tea!But then again, i dont really make lagers etc, and a stout could well benefit from a little wall caramelisation.Im not a big fan of chemicals, and so as a cleaner/steriliser i was toying with the idea of a high pressure steam cleaner.This would certainly do the job and avoid any rinsing,

Cheers!!!!

Fraoch