Mini-kegs

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Mini-kegs

Post by Payson »

Hello-
I just acquired a "party star" tap and a mini keg (1.3 gallons) system and was wondering if there was any possible way of incorporating nitrogen cartridges into the dispenser... I understand that there is a system on the market that allows this. I am also curious regarding peoples opinions regarding the mini kegs.
Thanks
Chris
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Don't

Post by fitz »

Is this the dispenser that uses 8 or 12 gram co2 cartridges to dispense you brew? If it is, they do sell some nitrogen cartridges for this. Of course you won't get an authentic Stout, because you don't have the stout head. The mini kegs aren't the best solution to bottles, and there are many threads about this subject. They corrode, the can't handle pressure, they are hard to clean, and if you scrub them, you damage the inner lining. Corney kegs are the way to go. They are more expensive, but worth the extra cash. You also can't carbonate with the canisters of CO2.
Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

I jumped the gun...

Post by Payson »

I was afraid I may have jumped the gun when I purchased this system. It uses the 12 gram CO2 (I believe) so I may give the nitrogen a shot. I would love to have the corney's, it's just a matter of convincing my girlfriend that they are a necessity as opposed to an upgrade. I'm making a Mackeson XXX clone for her so maybe I can work that into the equation..... Thanks for the insight.
Chris
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottle

Post by fitz »

Bottle on a night you are supposed to go out. After she sees how long it took you to get the bottling done, slip the fact that if you had been kegging, it would have been finished in 10 - 20 minutes. She may see it your way, or kill you, one or the other. But at least you wouldn't have to bottle anymore. I still bottle some of mine. But that is out of wanting to, not having to. Things are more enjoyable when you have a choice. You can still use the mini keg, and it will be good for picnics(especially since you already own it) It just isn't the most desirable set up. Williams brewing had advertised the nitrogen mix 12 canisters. I don't know if beer tools has a line on them too, with the new store. Good luck.
Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Much obliged!

Post by Payson »

Thanks. I believe I'll take your advice. Any thing I need to watch out for when buying a Corney keg system??
Thanks again
Chris
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I would go ball fittings

Post by fitz »

I personally would use the ball connection instead of the pin lock. Pin lock is used by coke, and ball lock is by pepsi. The ball lock is much easier to get, and less expensive in most cases. I have a Pepsi Distributor in my area, and once in a while, get something gratis. The ball lock are much more common though I think. Make sure the CO2 has a current test stamped on it. if it doesn't, you'll have to pay for a pressure test before filling at the gas shop. Get small diameter line for the beer out line 3/16 is better than 1/4"