Condensation Help

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Condensation Help

Post by BillyBock »

Help! I need help getting rid of excess condensation in my outdoor chest freezer. For specifics, I have the temp. controller at 32-35*F and I have a tub of Damp Rid inside. But I'm still getting moisture pooling on the floor! Any ideas? TIA.

v/r
Bill
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

golden rod dehumidifier

Post by fitz »

They sell a golden rod dehumidifier for use in gun cabinets. This may help you out with the condensation. Look in hunting and fishing catalogs. I know Cabelas sell them.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Tempreture diff?

Post by Freon12 »

I wonder if a drain would work for you? Maybe with a trap? Could it be drilled through the bottom and ran to a drain or outside?

Just a rare thought.

Steve
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Be careful

Post by fitz »

I don't know how the freon tubes run in a freezer, but be careful where you drill, so you don't damage any of them. A freezer without freon, is an expensive igloo cooler.
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Drain

Post by BillyBock »

The freezer has a built in drain. But I don't see how I'm going to get water to flow to that corner without having the kegs fall over from leaning.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Drill new one!

Post by Freon12 »

Fitz has a point about being careful, but most cabinets don't have anything in the bottom(heat rises or something). Turn the unit on and observe where the walls get cold or ice up. If the bottom is O.K. then go for it.

Check it out first, then drill the new drain where you need it and use a bulkhead drain fitting from the H-store. Shimming to that side will help also.

Steve.