Bredmakr

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bredmakr

Post by Brewer2001 »

Mike,

Have you talked with the owner of the 15 BBL system yet? I sent him (her) an email requesting information. I did not receive a reply. Are they serious about selling? Check the previous thread for things to check.

Tom F.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

Yes I've seen the system...

Post by bredmakr »

Tom,
I have checked out the 15 bbl system for sale in South Bend, IN. The sellers, Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan, raised the price on eBay because they keep going back and forth about whether or not to sell the system. They attempted a brewpub in the area which failed after 6 months because of seriously flawed business decisions. It is a bohemian system in really great shape with a full size boil kettle that can not be seen in the photos provided on eBay. The combi mash/lauter tun is undersized for the system and has been damaged. During one of their first brew sessions the sparge screen collapsed because they created a vacuum inside the mash tun. So, the screen has been reinforced with SS rods.
I asked around about the Sullivans before I met with them and came to find out that they are 'shady' characters well known in the area for making bad business decisions and being associated with a less than reputable crowd of investors. Mr. Sullivan is a lawyer and can talk forever about nothing.
As for the system I also found out that the Sullivans originally paid $180,000 installed not $250,000 as stated on eBay. It was only used for a short time (<7 months) and has been in storage since Jan 2000.
One thing that dissappointed me when I went to see the system was that there was no power to the building in which the system is stored. So, I really didn't get to take a close look at everything. The building that contains the system has been purchased and has to be empty by April so they have to move it somewhere. Mr. Sullivan also has quite a bit of restaurant equipment in storage at the same location which has to be moved. So, if you are looking for things like a dish line, dish washer, SS tables, etc. you could ask about those as well.
I walked away from the deal because I decided to take my family's advice and the advice of some very reputable people in the area and walk away from the Sullivans so that my name will never be associated with theirs. If however, you are interested in the system and plan to move it outside of the South Bend area it would be a good investment. this system needs a good home with someone that knows how to brew beer and will care for it properly. I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying this system because I have an agenda to acquire the system for myself. I have no interest in this system because I want to maintain a good standing with the city of South Bend, by not being associated with the Sullivans in any way, so that I will be able to one day open my own brewpub and be successful.
If anyone from this forum is successful in purchasing the system and come to South Bend to pick it up or inspect it let me know and I'll have you over for a beer from the tap in my garage.
A couple of other things to consider. When the system was moved to its current location it was set up in the hopes that the warehouse could be converted into a brewpub. This idea also failed. This is important to know because extra time will necessary to break down the system for transport. You would also have to hire a crane to get the glycol cooling unit off of the roof of the 5 story building. As for access to the system that is not a problem. There is a large warehouse sliding door that can be opened to remove the components with a fork lift. The kegs mentioned in the eBay add also happened to be full of 3 year old beer and the keg washing stand is not functional. Mr. Sullivan said that they would wash the kegs by hand.
One last note on the system. This poor system needs a good home. Several people that I talked to about the former 'South Bend Brewery' mentioned an interesting fact that says it all about the Sullivan's brewing abilities. They said it was a cool place to see live music but the only brewpub they had ever gone to where everone...EVERYONE...was having a mixed drink.
I've rambled on too long I know so I will go now. If you have more specific questions post them and I will reply as best I can.
bredmakr
Double IPA
Double IPA

item relisted...

Post by bredmakr »

I noticed yesterday that this system has been relisted on eBay. Guess they changed their minds again and now want to sell.
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Thank you for the info.

Post by Brewer2001 »

Mike,

I had a good laugh when I read your post. Please send me the new ebay listing and the sellers number. My email address is tjflanagan@covad.net.
The brewery where I work needs tanks and I am thinking of leasing them this equipment.

Thank you for the info.

Tom F.