What kind of bottle is better?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

BMartin

What kind of bottle is better?

Post by BMartin »

I use the bottle cap style of bottles. But I have seen ads for bottles that have "flip tops". Which of these is best...or maybe I should ask..which will last longest and be easiest to maintain?
maltvault
Light Lager
Light Lager

Flip Top

Post by maltvault »

I use the flip tops when I make a specialty beer, harvest yeast, or want to give a beer away. They are so much easier to use, no capper, and the only thing is to replace the rubber once a month.

GL
Malt Vault
xbrewer
Light Lager
Light Lager

either

Post by xbrewer »

Which style of bottle you want is really a matter of personal preference. Either style will work just fine as long as they are strong enough to hold the pressure. Just make sure you are using reusable bottles rather than the ones meant to be used once and discarded. The flip top bottles eliminate the hassle of using a capper but sometimes the wire toggle thing will weaken and not hold the top securely or slip of off the bottle when you try to seal it. These problems can usually be corrected by bending the wire with a pair of pliers. The rubber seals can be reused many times as long as they are sanitized each time. If begin to form cracks, they should be replaced.