Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://www.minibrew.com/index.php?main_ ... ex&cPath=6

I'm thinking about getting one (have slightly more money than time) - but before I spend this much I want to know that it's worth it :)
Addrienne
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Pre Made Lauter Tun

Post by wottaguy »

Hi Addrienne,

I have used the Mini-Brew mash lauter tun and would highly recommend it. It is sized for 5 or 10 gallon batches and it retains heat very well too. I have just recently sold it to one of my brew buddies as I came across a larger SS kettle.

Just make sure you wash it out real good to get the plastic smell out of it.

You can see pics of it in use on my blog under "Updated Brewery Pics". (the address is under my profile)

Hope this helps!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

Mash Tun

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

Here's another one you might like. It doesn't look as "high class", but it gets the job done. It costs a little more, but you get the convenience of having a hot liquor tank also. Just a suggestion.

My Dad uses this setup and he loves it.

http://www.mountainhomebrew.com/browsep ... allon.HTML
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

thats a lot of money for two 10gal coolers and misc parts. The coolers are about $38/ea at home depot right now.
iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.12.6
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Lauter Tun

Post by wottaguy »

+1 jawbox. I'm planning to go to HD and get one for myself, and rig it up with a ss braided hose.

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
Suthrncomfrt1884
Double IPA
Double IPA

re: coolers

Post by Suthrncomfrt1884 »

He stated he had more money than time. I assumed that by this, he meant he didn't want to build something.

As you said though...they are fairly cheap coolers. They work well for keeping wort at desired temps too. I think my dad built his setup for about half of what that thing costs.

If you want to invest a few hours in building it, it's a lot cheaper and there are plans all over the internet for it. I'm actually collecting kegs right now to get my own setup going. I need one more, but they're a bit pricey and I don't feel like ripping off the breweries by stealing them from a liquor store.
Primary - Belgian Dubbel, Belgian IPA
Secondary - Cherry Lambic
Bottled - Bourbon Barrel Coffee Porter, Double Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Imperial Nut Brown, Apfelwein, American Amber Ale w/Homegrown Hops, Breakfast Stout
Kegged - Bass Clone, ESB
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

I know it would be cheaper to make it - but if I take the time to make it, I won't have time to brew! :) And my husband would MUCH rather buy one for me than draft him into making it :lol:

and SHE actually :D not he.
Addrienne
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pr3e-made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

but thanks for the feedback!
Addrienne
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

they take about 15mins to put together. i've put together at least three for myself and friends.

15mins vs $200. I'll keep the $200 to spend on other brewing equipment/ingredients.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

With my level of coordination and building expertise, I've calculated that it will take me most of a weekend to build one;

1) Find tools needed (check under cat, in shed, in other shed, in laundry room, etc)
2) Have argument with husband about best way to build
3) Spend 4 hours in Home Depot looking at everything EXCEPT what I need for project
4) Plot where holes need to be drilled in insert bucket
5) Drill holes. Drill hand by accident. Spend rest of day in emergency room getting hole in hand patched.
6) Talk husband into completing project. Find out he was right in #2 argument. Make him brownies to apologize. Burn OTHER hand.
7) Buy pre-made anyway.

:lol:
Addrienne
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

It must me a man thing

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Personal pride falls into play. Money aside, I take pride in my mash tun and wouldn't be appreciative of my beer knowing that I was utilizing all stock/ off the shelf equipment.
There are complete brew systems with HLTs, Mash/ lauter tuns ect to the point that all you have to do is push buttons and monitor the temp/ times. That is not the reason I signed up for brewing. Sure there are things that you HAVE to buy like a quality mill, but the goal is to make a great beer on YOUR equipment. I find the building part of that quest.
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

I understand where you're coming from - but I'd rather put the energy I'd spend on this into the beer :D And I'm serious about the emergency room trip - I'm dimensionally and gracefully challenged - I tend to drop/break/run into things. Last time I made a planter box, I ended up splashing woodstain into my eyes. When I used a sprayer to paint the spare bedroom, I ended up absolutely covered in paint - and had to roller paint the walls after anyways.

I'm going to buy a pre-made system - it's just a matter of which one and when.
Addrienne
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I Hope and Pray

Post by brewmeisterintng »

That you are fermenting in a plastic bucket and you are using electricity to heat everything. You can safety brewing to death but there are necessary but mitigating risks involved in life excluding brewing. You just have to be cognizant of those risks and reduce them. If that means buying a mash tun, don't let me be the one to say no. I enjoy LIVE brewers vs. DEAD ones.
Addrienne
Light Lager
Light Lager

Pre-Made Lauter Tun

Post by Addrienne »

Relax a little James - the klutziness doesn't hit me nearly as much when I'm not dealiing with power tools. Cooking I'm usually fine with. It's just using tools I'm not all that comfortable with that gets me - and I'm very comfortable with brewing/cooking.

Just 'cause your comfortable building things doesn't mean I am - or that I find it terribly fun. So back up a little - I'm a brewer, not an engineer :D
Addrienne
jawbox
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by jawbox »

no drilling required. you just remove the factory installed drain.

Northern Brewer

#7557 Cooler Bulkhead $17.50
#7526 10" S/S False Bottom $33.99

Home Depot
10gal Beverage Cooler $38.00
1/2" Male to 3/8" Hose Barb x2 $2.00 +/-
Small piece of 3/8" ID hose (5ft)
3 Hose clamps
1/2" Brass ball valve with 1/2" female threads $7.00

Done.

You could make this less expense but that might involve injuring yourself.
iPhone 7+
iPad Pro 10.5
I like macs ;)