keg line and cleaners

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Bender
Light Lager
Light Lager

keg line and cleaners

Post by Bender »

I have been using BTF Iodophor sanitizer for all my cleaning needs. Never any problems. I have also been using thick walled vinyl tubing (I pick up at local hardware store and clean prior to use) for all kegging. Again never any problems, no complaints or negative comments. My questions is that some one recently tole me he uses "beer line tubing" and I should too. He also uses BLC (beer line cleaner) should I be using this as well? My only comment to him was that the person who suggested this to him was a salesperson for the above items. Am I wrong? My local supplier says I am just fine but my lines may stain which I alread know as my old primary which was plastic had over time stained but never a problem. Thanks for any feedback on this issue.
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

First, Iodophor is a sanitizer and not a cleaner. For cleaning some guys like PBW, It is a little pricey, so a lot of brewers use OxyClean instead. Chemically it's close to PBW. Both are percarbonate cleaners. I've been using OxyClean for years and haven't had any issues.

For beer line it is best to use tubing made specifically for dispensing beverages. The inside walls are much smoother and far less prone to cause faming problems. For gas line the hardware store stuff is fine, You can use BLC to clean your beer lines if you wish, but I just use OxyClean. I mix up a gallon or so in a keg, flush out the line, let it sit for a couple of hours, and then run a couple gallons of clear water through the line to rinse. This has worked well for me. Also, every now and then you should take your faucets and keg connectors apart for a more thorough cleaning.
BTP 2.0.22 (Linux (.deb) 64 bit)
BTP 2.0.24 (Windows 10-20H2)
BTP 2.1.0.9 Beta (Windows 10-20H2)