how to lift carboys

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

danbrew

how to lift carboys

Post by danbrew »

I am looking for an inexpensive way to lift carboys from the floor to counter height.
Home built is OK.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Gym equipment

Post by jayhawk »

I have heard of people converting old weight lifting machines in to keg lifters. Or maybe you could set up a pulley system on a track, which would be bolted in to the joists of your ceiling. You would have to build a little carboy basket to make sure the thing didn't fall out. How about a jack with a platform big enough for a carboy to sit on. That would be easy to store and less obtrusive than the pulley idea. Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Chris
Brewer2001
Double IPA
Double IPA

Lifting carboys.

Post by Brewer2001 »

If you are able to lift 50 Lbs. here are two inexpensive ways to lift carboys. Most brew supply houses carry a carboy handle that cost about $5.50. This works well but you should not lift the weight of a filled carboy by its neck without supporting the bottom. A second method is to 'find' an old milk crate that is as wide as the diameter of your carboy (I think that 5 and 6 gallon carboys have the same diameter). The crate will help you in lifting and storing your carboy.

Good brewing!

Tom