Copper : Stainless

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jdbooth
Light Lager
Light Lager

Copper : Stainless

Post by jdbooth »

What is your preference when it comes to stock pots in the choice of copper to stainless? I have recently found craftsman of hand made copper kettles that, from what I have seen, are comparable in price to Polar if anyone is interested. ie.. 10g french style copper pot w/handle for $155.00. Lid and tapped for thermometer and spigot are optional, but not included in the price. I am thinking this is a great deal...
John
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

I like Stainless

Post by andytv »

From my experiences, stainless is easier to clean and much less reactive than copper. I would be afraid that if you ever put away the copper pot a little wet, you would have big green stains. I'm not sure how it would react to cleaning chemicals, but then again, you don't need to sanitize the brewpot. Also, check out www.brewtek.com, I bought a 15gal stainless pot with a spigot for $160. You'll need this capacity for 10gal all grain batches.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

15gal - $85

Post by Push Eject »

I'm with Andy on this one.
Just as an aside I found my converted 15 gal keg that I boil in new on ebay (with spigot) for $82. Seller was a nice guy up in Oregon, if I remember correctly. Shipping was $18.
Cheers!
KBrau
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Agreed

Post by KBrau »

While copper is a better conductor of heat and will more evenly heat your wort, you will find that it requires a lot more effort to maintain. Chances are that you don't cook dinner in copper, but rather stainless pots and pans, for the same reason. I don't think that the benefits outweigh the costs for homebrewing applications.