Electrician Help

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

eek mice!

Postby warthog » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 pm

one of the reasons that i brew beer is to save money, another is because i make better beer than what is readily available here behind the zion curtain.

of course saving money is good, its also fairly easy. for example: newcastle brown ale costs about $2.35/bottle (~$25/gal) at the state liquer store, where i can make a 5 gallon batch of english brown for about $22 ($4.40/gal - $0.41/bottle), and my brown is more popular than the newcastle at parties.

consistency is my greatest challenge (beyond actually tying my shoes, that is). my setup is a fairly simple 'armstrong' brewery. i have the best thermometer that i can afford, i set my sparge rate with a stopwatch and a measuring cup, i have 4 different timers going at anyone time. and i'm taking care of 1 or both of my kids.

i've thought of automating the whole process. making my own herms or rims. this would actually be pretty simple for me, given my line of work. i could do it for relatively cheap too. here's the kicker though.

i like the manual method.

brewing is a hobby. i devote a day to brewing a batch of beer. i run around like a headless chicken; weighing this, timing that, measuring another thing, making funny faces at the baby. its all good. i personally don't think it would much fun to push a button and come back 2 weeks later an pour a pint of whatever...

it'd be cool.

i'd love to make a true ag beer machine. big bag 'o grain in one end, fermented, carbonated beer out the other end (i can make one, anyone with a spare $10K?).

i personally feel that homebrewing is an art. i enjoy serving my brews to friends. i am proud of the beer i make (usually). too many gadgets, and i think that feeling would go away.
PC 2.6ghz cel, XPpro,2gbRAM, 1920x1200
warthog
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Re: eek mice!

Postby soyousee » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:30 pm

warthog wrote:.

I could not agree more or have said it better!!
soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Can I Get an Amen

Postby brewmeisterintng » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Warthog, I share your views on brewing. Yes, I enjoy and am proud of my beer. I enjoy learning and refining my craft but "I" not a machine made this beer. Yes, brew day lasts for approx. 6 hours but I enjoy every minute. I don't have to make faces at the baby but none the less I always look forward to the next brew day. I don't think I would lessen the experience by means of automation. We brewers strive for consistency but if that means less control over the process, I will be a little inconsistent.
I really enjoyed the grain at one end beer at the other bit.
By the way, is your New Castle recipe posted? My brother would be grateful.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Previous

Return to Equipment