Cleaners

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Cleaners

Postby ian2119 » Wed Feb 20, 2002 6:58 am

I've always used chlorine bleach to sterilize my equipment, but I would like to change. Which of the cleaners works best? (easiest, fastest, etc...)
ian2119

Five Star

Postby Push Eject » Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:05 am

I'm pretty happy with starsan and saniclean from Five Star chemicals. They are no-rinse sanitizers (NOT STERILIZERS - which I assume you didn't mean anyway as very few of us have ever even seen an autoclave :)
My local brew store carries their products, perhaps yours does too. If not, here's the website:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/homebrew/index.html
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Bleach

Postby Freon12 » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:34 am

I still have bleach spots on my Viking shirt.
Five star is safer for shirts, and beer.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Idophor

Postby l48shark » Wed Feb 20, 2002 2:50 pm

A common homebrewing sanitizer is Idophor, which is a no rinse, iodine solution, which works quite well. You should see it in any homebrew supply store.
l48shark
Double IPA
Double IPA

An enviro-friendly alternative...

Postby Mesa Maltworks » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:42 am

Five Star also makes another family of products that are composed of chlorine dioxide which breaks down into harmless compounds after use and has the added benefit to your water supplier of decreasing the water's BOD (biological oxygen demand). These sanitizers will not damage clothes and are also no rinse. They go under the names Oxine & Starxene. The only difference is that Starxene is more concentrated.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Return to Equipment