Fermentap question

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

ian2119

Fermentap question

Post by ian2119 »

Has had any experience with the Fermentap system? It holds a carboy upside down so that you can use it as a conical fermentor. It has a valve so you can dump trub out of the bottom so you don't need a secondary. I thought it sounded like an interesting idea, but before I bought it I was hoping to find someone who knew how well it really worked.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fermentap...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yup... when they first came out, I used them. The premise is wonderful... other than a carboy lacks the 60 degree slope of a conical, they work to the same advantage. Now... here is why I stopped using them. They are a pain in the a** to assemble and disassemble. Before sanitizing, you have to take them completely apart, racking cane and all. After sanitizing, you have to reinsert the racking cane back through the valve assembly which is like wrestling with an elephant ! I broke ALOT of racking canes trying to get them back through the compression fitting. Of course, during this wrestling match, you are de-sanitizing whatever you sanitized ! The shortest time I completed the whole process was in about 40 minutes.

Now, being the inventive sort, I thought I'd get a stainless steel racking cane and try that... no dice, wrong outside diameter ! I later tried such things as food grade silicone which worked, but it can kill head retention. Needless to say, they (I bought 4 at once.. duh !) now occupy a corner of my closet along with other out of use items.

I really think the idea is great, but in execution, I think their advantages are lost. My advice is stick with closely watching your primary and siphon off at the correct time. Other than the ease of yeast harvesting, you won't notice a difference.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

clogs

Post by Freon12 »

I had one that came with a stainless steel cane. Sometimes it would leak on the floor. But, Wait til the valve clogs up during fermentation. Real fun. I still use the stand for drying my carboy.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Man...am I happy

Post by dartedplus »

I sure am glad that I didnt get one of those things. It does sound like they are not worth the hassle. If I really wanted to do the trub dump thing, I would probably go ahead and get a conical fermentor.
ian2119

Thanks

Post by ian2119 »

Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling they didn't work as well as they said. I think I'll just stick with what I've got.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fermenstand...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Funny you mentioned that.... that is all of the system I currently use as well... and for the same purpose !
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

They do work.... but a pain !

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Actually, they do work as well as they are stating, they are in practice a big pain to clean/sanitize/assemble. I'm glad to hear from one of the other posts that they now supply them with stainless canes. When I bought mine you had to supply your own cane and the valve assembly would only accomidate the brittle plastic racking canes like most homebrewers use.