Refractometer questions

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

slothrob

Post by slothrob »

The feature that people seem to rave about for refractometers is how quick and easy getting initial gravity readings are. Very useful for fly sparges to insure that they don't oversparge.

Sorry about this, but... would "duel" appologies involve sabres at dawn? :wink:
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
ColoradoBrewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Post by ColoradoBrewer »

slothrob wrote:Sorry about this, but... would duel appologies involve sabres at dawn? :wink:
God, I hope not :lol: (And yeah, I get the joke)
billvelek
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Re: I don't own a refractometer

Post by billvelek »

ColoradoBrewer wrote:
brewmeisterintng wrote:...I do think however this thread has lost the focus of the advancement of knowledge of honing and educating brewing skills. IMHO duel apologies are in order.
I agree! It was never my intent to offend anyone, or attack soyousee. If anyone was offended by my comments, and that includes soyousee, then I apologize.
It's nice to see a gentlemen go out of his way to settle misunderstandings and strive for harmony. I tip my hat to you, Colorado.

Cheers.

Bill Velek
Visit www.tinyurl.com/bvelek - portal to my brewing sites: 3,100+ members on 'Grow-Hops', and 1,350+ brewers on my 'BrewingEquip' group.
Running BTP v1.5.3 on WinXP 2005 SP3 w/AMD Athlon 64@3800+, 1GigRam, Res 1024x768
soyousee
Light Lager
Light Lager

Post by soyousee »

I bought BTP and they have a FG calculator that has all the math in it to be able to get the Hydrometer readings by plugging in the brix that you have. It works great and I checked it by taking Hydrometer readings to verify, I read 1014, BTP said 1013 those fussy lines make me believe in their results. Here is where that visual gymnastics stuff comes as the lines with alcohol in the wort-beer make reading difficult, and you have to summarize, I'm old and hardly see and I got it on the first pass so it's a thumbs up for Refractometer and BTP for all readings.
Cheers
j
slothrob

Post by slothrob »

That's good to know. Having learned this, I'll have to reconsider a refractometer.
BTP v2.0.* Windows XP
Bob57702
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Where?

Post by Bob57702 »

Robert (Robertjm94706),

Where are you finding these refractometers?
The first one has 0-40 brix, 0-25 alcohol. abt $25+shipping
The second one has 0-32 brix (w/o alc.) abt $25+shipping
The third one has 0-80 brix, which would be good for honeys and malts, abt $49+shipping.
In particular the first two.

Thanks,
Bob
PC: I7-3770S CPU, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 1920x1080 HD touchscreen