Refractometer

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Refractometer

Post by dartedplus »

For anyone interested in getting a refractometer, they can be had for much less than the $95 retail value most places sell them for. I just picked one up on eBay for $12.75 ($17 w/ shipping). So if you thought that they were too pricey, check out ebay. I haven't really seen any on the other auction sites. I suppose the best thing about a refractmeter will be the ability to check yur specific gravity with just a couple of drops instead of having to fill up that cylinder.
Just thought I would pass on the info. Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Refractometer use AFTER fermentation starts...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Refractometers are designed to measure sugar concentrations in water. After fermentation begins, alcohol is entrained in the water and the readings are therfore incorrect. This is due to their design premise.... the refraction of light (bending) through water not water + alcohol. There are calculations that can be used to correct for this refractive difference and I use them in my brewing. You will at the minimum have to use a calculator, but preferrably a spreadsheet (as I do) as they are lengthy and complicated. If anyone has interest, I will post them with their directions for use.
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

That would be much appreciated

Post by dartedplus »

I would really appreciate it if you would post the formulas or whatever it is that you have to share. I dont have the ref. yet but will have it before my next brew day, which will hopefully be next saturday.
By the way, you dont need an export license to ship some of those brews to me....just kidding....well....maybe I'm not kidding!!!
Ed