Kegging; Getting Started

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Kegging; Getting Started

Post by andytv »

I have a typical home draft system that I would like to use for dispensing homebrew.

I found a source for several good used corny kegs and would like to know what I have to buy to interface w/ my existing system.

Advice??
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

fitting

Post by Freon12 »

pin lock or ball?
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

ball?

Post by andytv »

Just got the kegs, appears to be a "ball lock". The two fittings remind me of quick connects used with compressed air, but with a tiny bearing in the center, also wehat appears to be a pressure release valve in the center. I need to open them up and check them out. They appear to be a little old. Before I start twisting and torquing, how do you open a cornelius keg????
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

good ones

Post by Freon12 »

I like ball type. Pull the bail up and push the lid down. There should be a o-ring. To remove the relief valve twist the ring ccw. A socket can be used to remove the fitting for in and out. (one is bigger). remove the dip tube and clean the springand ball. it pops out when the fitting is removed or use a pen to push it out. I would order new gaskets and o-rings, maybe a new valve.After it is completely apart then you can clean it well. Once clean I only take them apart every 3 brews.