Kegs!!

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Kegs!!

Post by jayhawk »

I have taken the plunge. Yesterday I went out and picked up 5 corny kegs for...get this...$10 bucks a piece. Seems like a good deal, seeing as my HBS wants $45 each for used cornies. What I did was talk to the guys at my university who deal with all the food/beverage storage for the cafeteria, and they let me put down the deposit ($10) for the empty Coke kegs and take them home. Anyway, today I will be going to get new rings, CO2, hoses, etc. today, and probably another batch to brew. Party party!!

Chris

PS If any of you are looking for corny kegs, you might want to try this approach. Talk to some local restaurants with soda fountains and you should be able to pick up the kegs by just paying the deposit. I actually called Pepsi and they recommended that I take this approach to acquire the kegs.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

You are going to love it ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Chris,

Congratulations, I did it last winter and it is great NOT HAVING TO BOTTLE ...

Words of caution, CLEAN CLEAN and CLEAN those soda kegs well, there's all kind of junk in those babies, but hey you can't beat the price right?

Paul.
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Quick easy way to clean

Post by fitz »

If the kegs haven't been unpressurized, get some bar sanitizer, take the pressure off the kegs, rinse with cold water, put bar sanitizer in the kegs and Hot water. Let soak for a couple hours, and flush the dip tubes when you empty. Like the shampoo bottles say, rinse and repeat. worked great for me. If they have rootbeer in them, good luck. That stuff is hard as hell to get out of a keg.
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Not Rootbeer

Post by jayhawk »

Yeah, I made sure to not get rootbeer. Three cokes, a sprite, and even a club soda - that one should be easy to clean. I am stoked!
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lovin' it

Post by jayhawk »

Yep, you all were right! Kegs are the way to go. Tapped my first batch this week and it rocks. Not to mention the versatility and added brewing capacity they provide. Now I can store an almost finished batch in the kegs and get on with brewing new batches!

Lookout!
Chris