grain mill

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

axis714
Light Lager
Light Lager

grain mill

Post by axis714 »

Im getting ready to use my new Tap-A-Draft system and id like to brew a good heavy stout or robust porter but the grain i got from morebeer all was milled except for the roasted barley {which i need} any suggestions on how to mill it myself w/o a mill? can i just crush it or grind it a little w/ a coffee grinder or put in a freezer back and stomp on it or what...lol any ideas?
Dr Strangebrew
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

I strongly urge you not to use the coffee grinder

Post by Dr Strangebrew »

If you use the coffee grinder you can expect, the severity of which will be determined by the amount you use, astringent off flavors that I'm not sure would go away with any amount of aging. If you can't get your hands on a grain mill, perhaps the best thing to do would be to put the grains in a freezer bag and use a rolling pin to crush them. This is how I used to crush grain, it works okay for extract bashes so maybe if your base malt is crushed properly it will work here also???

Cheers,
Nate
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Yup I agree, no coffee grinders ...

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Phew, I remember those days, I too used a rolling pin ONCE ! ! ! it's a lot of work, make sure you do it on a hard surface like a cutting board. I take it there is no Homebrew supplies store around to take it to them and beg them to do it :-)

Good luck,

Paul.
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

So how did you make out?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

I was wondering if you ever got your grain crushed?