Lauter-grant help needed

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Lauter-grant help needed

Post by Push Eject »

Hey, guys

I just built a grant for my rig. I've brewed two batches with it and it works well. It feeds my pump (into my kettle) which I manually turn on when the grant gets full and off as it pumps out.

Of course, what I want now is a pair of float switches or a two-way float switch that will turn the pump on and off automatically. Does anyone have experience with this? Morebeer.com has one for $125, but it seems to me there must be another way.

Who has experience with this?

Cheers,
Charlie

"Give a man a beer and he will waste an hour, teach a man to brew and he will waste a lifetime."
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Metal float

Post by Freon12 »

I have seen a float with a rod through it clipped to the side of the grant and when the float rises it pushes a clip on the rod adjusted to the hieght you want and makes the rod push a lever switch like the type used in vending machines. The float was stainless and came from a condensate heater pan. The clips had a hole with a plastic bushing smaller than the washer on top of the rod.

Worked good.

S.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

In the works -- others interested?

Post by Push Eject »

Through a fellow Maltose Falcon I've got the automated lauter grant under construction.

If anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing let me know and I'll share the trials, tribulations and photos.

Cheers,
Charlie