c02 two gauge regulator question? ? ?

Buying, building and using brewing equipment and apparatus. Product reviews and questions.

Moderator: slothrob

Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

c02 two gauge regulator question? ? ?

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Greeting all,

Thanks for all of the advice on the kegging start up. My first keg is resting comfortably in the freezer at 45 deg. at 12 psi. now I just have to wait 3-5 days and tap that bad boy :-) Anticipation ... is making me wait LOL ...

My second question for those of you that have 2 gauge regulators is,

When you get your bottle filled what is the high-pressure reading usually at? I understand twin gauge concept, I did a lot of oxy/acetylene welding. I had my bottle purged and filled yesterday and when I hooked it up it was a hair under 1000 psi ... but after I purged my keg and after charging it I noticed it dropped to 900 psi, just want to make sure I am not losing gas anywhere other than in the beer.

BTW my first kegged batch was a "Sam Adams Boston Lager clone" that tastes so close to the real deal I am sure it would win an award.

I bought the A/G kit from homebrew adventures in Charlotte NC, if you are interested go here http://www.homebrew.com/
the kit is called "Tea Party Lager", I entered it here in the recipe database under "Azorean Brewer's Boston Lager Clone" but the recipe calls for Liberty hops for bittering and there is no bittering Liberty hops in the database, So I flip flopped it with Tettnanger and adjusted the times, it will look wierd but the bittering hops are second in the ingridients but with the correct times. Try it you'll like it :-)

thanks again for the help on the regulator ...

Regards,

Paul ... (a.k.a. Azorean Brewer)
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Hi there!

Post by Freon12 »

If you have a compound gauge, the primary gage is an attempt at estimating volume rather than giving a pressure reading. We know that co2 has a constant pressure at a given tempreture and any volume of c02 at the same tempreture will have the exact same pressure, you may be able to find this relation in a chart on the web somewhere in a science like site.

Think of the primary gauge as judging exspansion in the size container you have, and yes it will vary with tempreture.
Wieght would be a better indicator than that gauge, but at least you have something, don't spend any time on it.
I just use the red zone on the gauge to tell if I,m running out.

If you really,really must know how much is left, weigh the bottle and subtract the bottle wieght stamped on the side under tare wieght.

To see if you have a leak, connect the keg, pressure the system and shut off the bottle, (Empty keg mind you, wouldn't want any co2 absorbed in the beer faking a leak) any significate leak will run the pressure gauge to 0 in a 12 hours losing only what is in the line, not the bottle, if you have no loss you're good to go. Dish soap and a small amount of water in a spray bottle is the best leak detector on the market.

Kegging is cool, Steve.

-

I also keep a small 5# backup(just in case, not for mobility honest)
Azorean Brewer
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Remedy Found

Post by Azorean Brewer »

Thanks Steve for your insight.

Premature panic sucks an empty bottle :-)

I called my HBS where I purchased the keg system and asked what's up with my pressure? What I found out was thst when I had the tank filled I was at lunch Friday afternoon and it was 90+ degrees here in SC. I set the bottle in my truck and intentionally parked under a huge oak tree for shade. No time to go home and drop it off.

I placed the bottle in the garage where my freezer is still really warm. The next morning (Saturday) I hooked everything up and the bottle was warm and was 1000 PSI.

I then placed everything in the freezer and left it there for 4-5 hours while I came up to post original request for help, bottle was now at 900 PSI, I went out to mow and do yard work. When I looked at it again it was down to 650 PSI. Now panic set in, was I losing that much c02 that quickly? My HBS said to weigh it rather than rely on the primary gauge for level. C02 pressure changes drastically with temp, it's the weight that is important.

Steve you were right, the tare weight was 7.7 lbs. and the bottle weight was 12.5 lbs. so I have plenty (5 lbs.), I also tried the soap and water to check for leaks and found none, so my worries were just new daddy panic ... I'm set ... thanks guys, ... reminds me of the first brew I made 13 years ago and waiting up all night for the first perk bubble, it didn't come for 24+ hours, man was I tired and wondered what I had gotten my self in to LOL ...

I'll chill now and have a home brew, heck I might have 2 or 6, I have 8 cases bottled and aging waiting for a tirsty drinker ...

what's a home brewer to do...

Later guys, brew on...

Paul.
canman
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

guage in freezer

Post by canman »

don't pay any attention to the hig press guage when in the freezer. When out of freezer c02 maintains 800-900 psi. When it drops below 80 you know the actual liquid is gone and you are running on just pressure left in the bottle. Back up bottles are a gift from God