Microbrewery Yeast Slurry

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Microbrewery Yeast Slurry

Post by wouldy »

I have a local microbrewery and have heard of people using a yeast slurry obtained from them in their homebrew. I would like to look into the possibility of doing this, can anyone give me some advice? I haven't approached them and would like to know what exactly to ask for, i.e. 2 cups of slurry? I imagine i can only reproduce the styles that they brew as the yeast is specific?

Or even, is this a good idea or not?

Constantly grateful,
Wouldy
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I wouldn't bother

Post by fitz »

I wouldn't bother doing so if I were you.
First, you would probably get it from their Primary, which isn't the optimal yeast to use. If there is any contamination between their primary, your container, or airborne yeast in the transfer or transportation, there goes your batch of beer. A new packet of yeast is a lot less expensive than a tainted batch. It is much easier to "harvest" your own slurry, if you want to "reuse" some yeasts. Anyway, you have a greater number of yeasts available to you also. The yeasts are a little varying, but you can use an ale yeast to produce different types of ale, or Lager yeasts to do different lagers. I don't want to squash your idea, but I don't think you'll be satisfied with the outcome.
Brewpastor

How is their beer?

Post by Brewpastor »

In deciding to get a slurry I would want to know how the beer is from the micro, in other words, do they have yeast problems?

Additionally, how old is the yeast, what generation are you looking at?

Also, what style of beer is it coming from, particularly, is it a normal strength brew or a strong one?

I use yeast from my locals all the time and have NEVER had a problem, but I do my homework. As per volume required, ask them what they think, let them show-off a bit. Take your own container/flask and maybe a bottle of your best.

I was the head brewer of a micro for many years and we gave out yeast all the time. I also tried to be honest with people about the yeast we had.

The bottom line in my book is getting enough yeast to get your beer going as soon as possible. Good luck.

-the Brewpastor
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

I dont think...

Post by dartedplus »

Fitz,
as long as he would take his own "clean" jar or whatever he is putting it in, I dont really think there is muych chance of any contamination if he is brewing that day or the next. The bacteria or any airborne stuff would not have much of a chance against those millions of yeast cells. Remember that many of the breweries in England still open ferment from what I have heard. So the airborne thing is minimal. I think that if he would be using it the same day then he should be fine. But like Brewpastor said, do your homework and make sure that it is a yeast you would want to use. If you dont like their beers then you probably dont want to use the yeast.
brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

brewery yeast collection

Post by brakspears »

I have often contacted local breweries and had favourable reception, show some interest and mostly the response is good, some info about transporting the yeast from brewery to your brew site, clean and sanitise a vacuum flask of suitable size, fill the flask with ice, preferably crushed, as you get more in, and thus better temp stability, when you arrive at the brewery discard the ice, fill with yeast, return to your brewing, and pitch as soon as possible, this will hopefully give some good performance, regards Nigel.
wouldy
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks Guys

Post by wouldy »

Thanks guys, you have given me a great place to start thinking about this.

Wouldy
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

How is your Brewery?

Post by fitz »

Wouldy,
The reason I said I wouldn't bother, is that I am not impressed with my local micro, and I wouldn't trust them on their (Beer, Cleanliness) Spend a little bit of time in your Micro, and see if they know what they are doing if so, give it a try. If you are a regular, they will be more apt to help. Try a grolsh bottle for transport.