Hot Break

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Hot Break

Post by Payson »

I began a Mackeson XXX clone last night and had a difficult time reaching the "hot break". The trub foamed and foamed and the break was a long time coming. Finally, after approximately 25 minutes of boiling and an exhausted arm it subsided and the boil mellowed out. Previous batches have never taken this long.... Any ideas? Should I be concerned? My girlfriend is eagerly anticipating this batch. I was meticulous with sanitation. Thanks for any insight.

Chris
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Relax.....

Post by BillyBock »

Personally, I wouldn't worry. Each batch seems to be different with the amount of break formed. Some go nuclear and some are subdued. Different wort compositions produce different results apparently. It should turn out just fine. My question is where'd you find a girlfriend that likes stouts? Rare indeed.....

v/r
Bill
Payson
Light Lager
Light Lager

Rare indeed....

Post by Payson »

Her love for stouts is a mixed blessing. I've already been warned that I "better not be sucking the Mackeson clones down like I did with the batch of wheat beer." Seems as if she's getting quite possessive of them.... Thanks for the input. All seems well with it. It's fermenting like crazy! Smells great.