New to all grain looking for good book on subject.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

WKunka

New to all grain looking for good book on subject.

Post by WKunka »

I am going to try my first batch of all grain brew. Problem is I am not sure if the book I am using is any good. I have Charlie Papazian "The complete joy of home brewing". Is the all grain guides in his book still valid. Can anyone tell me a better book for the all grain brewer?
Thanks
BK
brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

Papazian and others

Post by brakspears »

I have used Papazian's books and found them satifactory, but I also use some books by a gentleman named Graham Wheeler, he writes for the U.K. Campaign for Real Ale, with a Mr Protz, the editor of Whats Brewing, or he was, and there are several books available from Brewers Publications, covering different styles of beer, and if you want to get a real technical brewing science book then the books from the late George Fix would meet your requirements, I could get you the I.S.B.N no's for these if you wish, let me know how you go, regards Nigel.
Raydownunder
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

"How to Brew" John Palmer

Post by Raydownunder »

BK
This is a new book (second edition). Recommend this book for all brewers advanced or just starting. Its American like you and has just landed in Australia. Its upto date with current malts, hops and yeasts. Get out there and buy it. Local brew shops should have it or do a search and you may pick it up from the net.

Cheers
Ray Mills
WKunka

ISBN's

Post by WKunka »

I have both of Mr.Papazian books I found them great but lacking some infomation on all grain brewing. Could you please post the ISBN for Mr. Fix's book.
Thanks
Bill Kunka
WKunka

Thank-you

Post by WKunka »

I am off to the brew store to get it.
By the way I am a Canadian.
Thank-you for your help
Bill Kunka
brakspears
Light Lager
Light Lager

Book Numbers

Post by brakspears »

Bill sorry for the delay in replying, haven't had any Beertools messages in my "in Box" recently.

George Fix. Principles of Brewing Science.
I.S.B.N 0-937581-17-9.

George Fix and Laurie Fix. An Analysis of Brewing Techniques.
I.S.B.N. 0-937381-47-0

Regards Nigel.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Ray Daniels: Designing Great Beers...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

The best brewing text, in my opinion, (without getting into brewing science that is unneccesary at the homebrew level), is Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers. Not only does he explain proper processes, but also explains how to brew within style, which is how each chapter is organized.

One of this book's greatest values is that it describes grain bill contributions as percentages rather than in pounds or KGs for 5 gallon batches. This ensures that whatever size of batch you want to make you can easily formulate in proper proportions. He also does a great job of explaining how to gauge your specific equipment efficiency (really important if you want consistent results)and how to adjust the grain bill proportionately. The other books that were suggested are all good, but they deal with a broad base of topics rather than specifically focusing on all-grain composition and techniques. To this day, I still use it in my brewery when I want to investigate brewing something with which I am unfamiliar as do many of my collegues.

Now... if you are looking to be hand fed recipies, this is not your book. This book tells you how to come up with formulations on your own.

Eric