Boiling the wort.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Black_Raven

Boiling the wort.

Post by Black_Raven »

Are you supposed to stir the wort while boiling? Are you supposed to stir in the hops as well?
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Only at the beginning.

Post by jeff »

You should only need to stir the wort at the beginning of the boil to help prevent boil-over. From that point on, the boil should be a rolling boil. A rolling boil does the stirring for you, as well as help achieve the highest utilization of hop alpha acids. You can stir it every now and then if you want to feel like your more involved though; shouldn't hurt. Just try to avoid splashing hot wort, that can have a negative affect on flavor.
Black_Raven

Thanks for the advice.

Post by Black_Raven »

Being new to brewing I need all the help (and advice) I can get. Thanks again... Jim
Slade

Boiling Wort

Post by Slade »

I've always offset my kettle on the burner, allowing the boiling wort to mix itself. I also allow the rolling boil to "mix in" the hops.
jrichbrew

Boiling the wort

Post by jrichbrew »

I stir throughout the boil, while it may not be neccessary I do not believe it hurts in any way. I use muslin bags for my hop pellets and these are stirred when the rest of the wort is stirred.