Boiling the wort.

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Boiling the wort.

Postby Black_Raven » Thu May 31, 2001 11:14 am

Are you supposed to stir the wort while boiling? Are you supposed to stir in the hops as well?
Black_Raven

Only at the beginning.

Postby jeff » Thu May 31, 2001 12:11 pm

You should only need to stir the wort at the beginning of the boil to help prevent boil-over. From that point on, the boil should be a rolling boil. A rolling boil does the stirring for you, as well as help achieve the highest utilization of hop alpha acids. You can stir it every now and then if you want to feel like your more involved though; shouldn't hurt. Just try to avoid splashing hot wort, that can have a negative affect on flavor.
jeff
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Thanks for the advice.

Postby Black_Raven » Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:46 am

Being new to brewing I need all the help (and advice) I can get. Thanks again... Jim
Black_Raven

Boiling Wort

Postby Slade » Tue Jun 05, 2001 3:05 pm

I've always offset my kettle on the burner, allowing the boiling wort to mix itself. I also allow the rolling boil to "mix in" the hops.
Slade

Boiling the wort

Postby jrichbrew » Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:35 am

I stir throughout the boil, while it may not be neccessary I do not believe it hurts in any way. I use muslin bags for my hop pellets and these are stirred when the rest of the wort is stirred.
jrichbrew

Return to Techniques, Methods, Tips & How To