fly sparging?????

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

fly sparging?????

Post by dartedplus »

I was at the other site and there was a thread tlaking about differnt sparging methods...what the hell is fly sparging and how does it compare to batch sparging?????

Ed
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Superfly

Post by Gravity Thrills »

Hi, Ed.

Fly sparging is just regular, continuous sparging. Keep your grain bed covered, keep checking wort gravity or pH, and collect all your runnings in one go. It's how most grain homebrewers start out because we basically liek to imitate the big boys as best we can, and it's often frustrating and maybe the reason a lot of people give up.

In batch sparging, you don't continuously water the grain bed or check wort runnoff. Instead, after mashout rest, you run your bed dry to collect a high gravity first running that contains about 2/3 of cour sugar in 1/2 of your final wort volume. Then, rehydrate the grain bed with the remaider of your appropriately treated sparge water, mix, sit, recirculate, and collect the rest of your runnings. Personally, I dig the batch sparge.

So Who let you be 'Larry' anyway?

Cheers,
Shemp (better than Curley Joe of Joe Besser)
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

super fly batch

Post by Fraoch »

Im glad this was brought up because i do a mix of both of these styles with great success,i run off the first batch to approx 3/4 collected, then i sparge to say 1" above grain bed and let run through to 3/4 again, repeat until end.My tap is about 1/2 open and it takes 1 hour to sparge to 10 gals.I regularly get mash efficiency of 90% and over, but i started out with 65%.Gradually i refined my sparge technique and now get these results.I'd be interested to know anyone elses sparge techniques.I know someone at my brew club who batch sparges and it wasnt until we got chatting about these things that i found out he achieves 75% eff. We both use the same water source but different sparge techniques.Anyone else like to add further?
Gravity Thrills
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

run a batch

Post by Gravity Thrills »

I get 85% efficiency with pure batch sparging after a 90 minute mash. I was at about 80% from the get-go with the technique so I stuck with it. I do not add any additional grain to my bill to make up for any anticipated efficiency reduction due to this "lazy" sparging method, because I never saw that efficiency drop.

Cheers,
Jim
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

whats in a name

Post by dartedplus »

I believe twas freon who dubbed me larry, I may have to try the batch sparging once I get my Rims up and running
jayhawk
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Batchin

Post by jayhawk »

I have brought my eff. up to a consistent 80%. Started off with the fly technique, but quickly grew frustrated and took up the batch sparge after reading 'Thrills posts about it. My first batch sparges were way better and less hassle, and clearly I have not lost any effeciency with the batch sparge. Bonus is it gives me time to clean up or sanitize in prep for other procedures when I brew, or just relax and grab a bite to eat and have a homebrew.