How long to age beer

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

zeno
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

How long to age beer

Post by zeno »

Ok, I have recently been told I need 3 weeks to carbonate in the bottle, then 2 additional weeks to "age" it.. This aging is suppose to "mellow" the beer..

My beer equipment setup (sounds a lot better than beginers kit, hu?) claims I need 2 weeks to carbonate, and 3 days to a week in the fridge after that...

What's the concensous here? How important is aging? Is there a similar timeline for aging beer force carbonated in a keg?
fitz
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Aging -- Depends

Post by fitz »

Some beers taste better when aged, some taste better fresh. Some people think differently about what beer should taste like. Depending on the yeast used, and the temp brewed and bottled at, your beer should be carbonated in 7 to 14 days at the most. The yeast then needs to fall to the bottom for the beer to clear. I have drank many of "cloudy beers and this will not hurt you in the least. Actually it is good for you(more vitamins) Anyway, as soon as its carbonated, you can drink it, most people wait a couple weeks to let it clear. Kegging reduces time between drinking because you are not refermenting to carbonate. Some beers actually taste better bottled and aged rather than kegged. Homebrewing is all about getting what you like, so try and decide yourself. If you make one and it seems too strong or harsh, wait a few weeks or months and try it again you may be pleasantly surprised.
Enjoy, and don't sweat the small stuff.