Lagers & Kegs-When to Carbonate?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

mountainbrewer

Lagers & Kegs-When to Carbonate?

Post by mountainbrewer »

Howdy everyone,
I am about to keg a lager and wonder if it makes any difference when I carbonate? Normally with ales I set the regulator for 25 psi and let it sit in my beer fridge for 48 hrs. with the pressure on. Then I release the pressure and set the regulator to dispense pressure at 5 psi. If I have any self control,I wait at least another week before I start drinking the brew.
I intend to let the lager sit for several weeks in the fridge before I drink it (Oh Lord give me the strength to resist teptation!). So, do I carbonate with the 25 psi immediately, or just blow off the oxygen with a little CO2, let it sit with little or no pressure and then carbonate the final two days? Does it even matter?
Thanks,
Wayne
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Co2

Post by Freon12 »

If the method you use makes ales the way you like, then use the same method for the lager. The differences between ales and lagers have more to do with the yeast and possibly the tempreture of fermentation than with anything else.

The principles behind lowering the tempreture so the beer can carbonate faster are if fact the same for all beers, although I carbonate hoppy or crisper beer to a higher level(pressure).

Hope that helps.
Steve
mountainbrewer

Thanks

Post by mountainbrewer »

Hey Steve,
Just wanted to say thanks for your reply. I do want this lager to carbonate a little more than my typical ales. It has been a long time since I've tried a lager. Very challenging since I don't have a fermentation refrigerator. I am taking advantage of old man winter and an unheated room that stays cool enough for the California 2112 yeast that I used.
Talk to y'all again soon.
Wayne