Bottling A Lager????

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Bottling A Lager????

Post by dartedplus »

When bottling a lager,at what temp should you dothe bottling. Should you do it at the lagering temp, or allow it to come up to room temp, etc... etc...
thankyou in advance
Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lager Bottling...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Ed;

It is my recommendation to bottle the beer and let it stay at room temperature for 3 days to ensure that the yeast becomes sufficiently active after having been at a lager fermentation temperature for 2+ weeks. This proceedure will not negatively impact the flavor for this short of an interval. Doing so also ensures that the yeast will absorb all of the oxygen present in the beer before it can oxidize. If you were to leave the beer at a lager temperature during this stage, the yeast might not absorb the oxygen quickly enough to avoid some staling. After the 3 day wait, return the beer to the lagering temperature and store for at least 3 weeks, but 1.5 to 2 months is preferred.

Eric
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Thanks Eric...

Post by dartedplus »

Thanks Eric, this isnt actually a lager, but a wit that I threww up in the attic for a couple of weeks to aid in clearing. Will there be any problem with the yeast coming back from the cold and being viable enough to carbonate the beer?? I dont need to worry about most of it because I will be putting it into my tap a draft containers, although the rest will be bottled. Half of the batch has blackberries added to it and I thought that the cold conditioning would help to drop some "stuff" out of suspension, which it did.

Thanks,
Ed
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Since it is actually not a lager...

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

I would bottle it and store it at room temperature for 2 weeks or so. Check for carbonation along the way. There should be enough yeast still around to do the job, but it will still take longer than usual.

Eric
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

while its warming

Post by dartedplus »

I think I will take out the amount that will be force carbonated, and then add some yeast to whats left and allow it 2 or 3 days and then bottle it so that it has a new little batch of yeasties to do the work