Frozen Yeast Bank

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Legman
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Works every time

Post by Legman »

So far, the frozen yeast vials work every time! :D

The vial that I used this time was one of the very first vials that I had frozen back in December. These particular vials were not the best of samples. I have a habit of being rather impatient and do things without thinking them out thoroughly. This would be one of those times.
Instead of propagating yeast and getting a good clean sample, I had just frozen some trub scooped from the bottom of the fermenter. No yeast washing or anything. Just a scoop of fermenter crap, mixed with the glycerine solution and into the freezer.
After taking my time and seeing the results of how much better of a yeast sample I get from propagating and yeast washing, I wasn't real thrilled about using those vials. :|
But it was a done deal and they were there. So I thought at least I'd give one a try to see what happens. I wasn't very optimistic to say the least.
To my surprise, it worked out just fine. It was a little slower to start than the other vials, but other than that, I could tell no difference. Needless to say, I will still continue to propagate the yeast with a starter and wash at least once. The samples collected in that manner make a much cleaner and probably more viable yeast sample to start with.

The frozen yeast library is definitely something I will continue to do. It's just to cool! :mrgreen:
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

RE: Works every time

Post by wottaguy »

Legman...

This is indeed very good news to hear. I have yet to use any of my frozen samples as I have been growing the bank up a bit lately. I didn't have time to make a starter last week (shame on me) like i usually do, for my ESB, so my plan is to harverst from the Primary and wash, then xfer to vials. That process will probably start on Saturday as it will be ready to keg! I have also created a Yeast Bank Spreadsheet in xl to keep track of the samples and dates and how many times used or propagated. I'm going on having 8 different strains at this point, and my wife wants me to go out and purchase a new freezer for all my hops and yeast as room is getting tight.

Thanks again!

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
wottaguy
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Frozen Yeast Success!

Post by wottaguy »

Hey everyone...

just thought I'd share my most recent experience with reviving my frozen yeast and all. I can say that it has been very successful too!

This is the first frozen sample that I have tried to use and I found no problems reviving the little guy's! This is a sample of WLP004 Irish Ale yeast that was prepared and frozen last Feb 8 2009! I defrosted the small vial in luke warm water for a minute or so, then pitched into my cooled starter medium that was heavily aerated and about 30 hours later it was going to town! Today I decanted and pitched into some fresh aerated wort and have it on a stir plate as we speak. I also saved a small amount of the original fermented wort just to taste, and it tasted ok with no problems evident. Anyone up for making beer by the glass?? LOL!!!

Anyways, I am very happy that my efforts have paid off and I won't be over spending on further yeast purchases. I can now concentrate on collecting different yeast's so I can have them on hand any time I want to brew. It does take a little bit of forward planning, but it is well worth it. I'll be using this yeast to ferment an Irish Red Ale being brewed this Sunday. Wish me luck!

Here's the yeast types that I have in my yeast bank so far: (in casr anyone wants to know)

Type Date Frozen
WLP051 Cali V Ale 3/1/2009
WLP320 American Hefe 3/28/2009
WLP004 Irish Ale 2/8/2009
WLP023 Burton Ale 2/14/2009
Wyeast 1007 German Ale 4/18/2009
Wyeast 1968 English ESB 5/1/2009
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen 9/3/2009
WLP036 Dusseldorf ALT 6/8/2009

(_)3
Visit my blog @ http://www.wottashomebrewblog.blogspot.com

On Tap:
HL Pale Ale
HL Lite Lager
Bottled:
HL Simcoe Pale Ale
HL Wizeguy Weizenbock
HL Reveur Saison
HL Dry Stout
HL Kentucky Common
shaggyt
Pale Ale
Pale Ale

Loading up the bank

Post by shaggyt »

Congrats Wotta...isn't it great?

I've got two strains going into the freezer today, WLP500 & WLP023. This brings my bank total to three different varieties, WLP001 being the first and most often used.

WLP008 is next up, with WLP004 on the wish list.

Now I need more DME, LOL!