Barley malting-pt.1- We have a kiln

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

Barley malting-pt.1- We have a kiln

Post by stumpwater »

Ok, so now it gets serious and the hobby has taken over my brain. Does anyone have good information about malting barley? My friend and I have access to a small crop drier. The drier has 12 shelves/ compartment and four seperate compartments. The drier reaches temperatures of 174 f but I am unsure if this is grain temp or air temp. Anyway, I am really just starting to feel this topic out so anyone who has advice on growing barley and malting it, I would appreciate hearing from you. If the above mentioned drier is suitable for the purpose of malting barley, then I will be looking into what strains of barley to grow as well as different malting techniques. Imagine handing someone a glass of beer and saying here try this, I grew it. Oh my dreams will never be the same.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

awesome!!!!!!!

Post by Fraoch »

Best of luck Stumpy,your dedication is truly astounding. Even if your first efforts come out smoky, the pleasure of knowing that YOU made EVERY process possible would make it the best beer ever. keep us all posted.

Fraoch
dartedplus
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

might be hot enough

Post by dartedplus »

from the small amount of info I have been able to get from my HB books, that temp might be enough. You should really consider buying a book on the subject or just sitting at Borders and reading their copy. Apparently there is a lot of time involved, soaking for 3 days, germinating for another week +/- and the drying sounds prety cool though if you can pull it off. let me know what you find out, maybe I'll buy some of your grain from you
Ed
Liquid Blur
Light Lager
Light Lager

Great beer from scratch.

Post by Liquid Blur »

Although I am new to homebrewing, I love the idea of being able to make everything from scratch. I have been reading up on growing hops and it seems like it would be pretty easy to do. I've tried to find some information on growing and malting grain. From what I've heard grains generally take up a lot of space. To grow that is. The sources that I've gotten information from never really say how much area (per pound of grain) it would take up. If anyone has any info on this topic I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys,
Adam
brewdude
Light Lager
Light Lager

Here's my 2 cents worth

Post by brewdude »

A couple of years ago I got interested in malting. I copied some info from a web site. I'd have to dig deep to find it. It explained the malting process. My plan was to try some of our local farm grown barley, it's six row and see how it worked. I tried once (only 2 pounds or so) and got it to germinate but then forgot about it during the drying process, when I returned to it it was moldy. I do remember the instructions saying that home-malted grain will not give teh same conversion as professional malted grain but the cost effectiveness would be better, you need more home-malt to get the same amount of fermentables. It would be the last step in MY creating beer completely from scratch. I've been growing my own hops for a couple of years and last year was my first complete year using my own cultured yeast (grown from slants). I'd first try to locate a farmer with barley in the grainery, get a few pounds from him and try it before I'd go to the bother of growing the grain. Let us know either way how you make out.
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

If youre still checking this thread, some specifics for you

Post by Fraoch »

I dont have the specifics for pale malt, but i do have some others from the Adelaide malting co. who supply Coopers as well as myself. Everything is in metric so youll have to convert to imperial yourself;
black malt; 2hrs @ 200-220c
medium ;11/2hrs @ 150-170c
crystal; use moist,germinated malt roasted and dried over 21/2 hrs@160c. Endosperm will crystalise during roasting.

And thats as much as ive got im afaid, best of luck though