Cool wort down quicker

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

beef
Light Lager
Light Lager

Cool wort down quicker

Post by beef »

How can I cool my wort down quicker? I just let it stay in room temp. I was hoping to add my yeast quicker to my wort but it is always to warm.
Team Beer
Light Lager
Light Lager

Wort Chiller

Post by Team Beer »

The most common tool to use is an immersion wort chiller. Simply submerge into your boiling wort, turn off the heat and turn on the water. On a nice day I have cooled wort ready for yeast in about 20 minutes for 5 gals of hot wort. There are several on the market check 'em out.
mickeymac
Light Lager
Light Lager

water and ice

Post by mickeymac »

I usually submerge my brewpot in a sink or bathtub full of ice water. The cold water usually cools it to about 75 degrees in 30 to 40 minutes or so. I leave the lid on to keep out bad stuff but tilt it just a bit to let some hot air escape and speed the cooling.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Counterflow chiller

Post by Freon12 »

I built a counterflow with two 10' rolls of copper tubing. 1 was 3/4" and 1 was 3/8". I put the 3/8 inside the 3/4 and rolled them in a coil. I then put tee fittings on each end. I think there are instructions on this here at beertools? anyway, I run the hose in one and the beer in the other while I drain the brewpot into the fermenter at 70f on a hot day! I can send you a picture if you like.
This is as fast as Racking! Cool huh? get it, cool. I made a funny.

P.S. I saw a convoluted chiller at StPats.com if you have money. Froach may know more about this.

S.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

yes please

Post by stumpwater »

I would really like the plans/picture for your counterflow chiller. 20ft of copper is a heck of a lot better than the 100ft I think I need for an immersion cooler to run through my 12 gallon brew pot. email is archersofalbion@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Get the picture?

Post by Freon12 »

Three on the way.
stumpwater
Double IPA
Double IPA

yup, thanks!

Post by stumpwater »

Great! Thanks for the quick response. On to better beer.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fittings

Post by Freon12 »

You may already know this, but the reducer fitting has a stop in it that must be removed(I use a dremmel) so the 3/8 can pass through it to make the connection to the 5/8 (7/8 in your case).

S.
Framnk

Picture of Counterflow Chiller...

Post by Framnk »

Hi Freon -

Would you mind shooting me a picture of the Counterflow Chiller you built as well?

framnk@yahoo.com

TIA!