Reculturing from duvel...

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

matchew

Reculturing from duvel...

Post by matchew »

Trying to find out some info on yeast from a bottle of Duvel.I got the last inch of a small bottle of duvel and put it in a starter and it seemed to work but there wasn't a real lot of sediment in the bottom of the starter when I pitched it compared to when I make a starter with a Wyeast.I pitched it and it started to ferment very slowly then stopped after 24 hrs so I pitched a packet of safale and now its fermenting hard with a very large amount of foam head in the fermenter.My qustion is to anyone that may have tried this with Duvel. Should I have stepped it up again before pitching or maybe used the last inch of two duvels instead of just the one?How much yeast sediment in the starter should there be as a minium for pitching??Any help would be great...
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Magnetic stirrer

Post by Freon12 »

I have good luck with Reculturing, but only after I bought a magnetic stirrer. I have brought back very old and weak yeast to full tilt in two step process. The first "feeding is low in gravity and about 200ml.The secound "feeding" is larger(1000ml)and of normal gravity. Sometimes if the second round is not highly active, I use a third at 2000ml at normal gravity. I use DME and pellet hops. There is information about washing and maintaining yeast that are better explained by others.
Hope that helps.