How Long....

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Veth

How Long....

Post by Veth »

How long should one leave a triple in the primary and secondary? My batch contains 9 lbs dry extra light malt 1 lb Belgian cany sugar (clear) and White Labs high gravity yeast. Also how long should this be aged after bottleing?
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Discipline????

Post by Fraoch »

how longs a piece of string???? Others will be able to give you precise aging times, but the general rule with any high grav beer is to wait as long as possible. All beers should be given a maturation period.I'd forget about it if i were you and come back in say 18 months and try it then leave it again. Odds on you dont do this though.Probably the hardest bit of brewing that,,,,, the wait
Veth

Tell me about it

Post by Veth »

I was pretty sure that was the case. I was thinking 2 or 3 months in the secondary then bottle aging till Christmas. It has been in the primary for 11 days now and still bubbling strong. Smells very tasty :)
Monkey Man
Light Lager
Light Lager

my 2 cents

Post by Monkey Man »

I often brew high grav batches. Here's what works best for me. I leave the beer in the secondary for between one and three months. I do the long time aging, over three months, in the bottle. Leaving the beer in the secondary a long time is good, but if you must bottle the beer, the conditioning fermentation will wreck some of your patience. Make sure you use oxygen absorbing bottles caps. However, if you keg, or I guess it's possible that you drink it straight from the secondary, just leave it in the secondary as long as you can stand the wait. Making sure to sample it on occasion of course.
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

No discipline here

Post by andytv »

I just kegged a witbier (fermented 10days, then 2weeks in the secondary). It was so good that I drank a pitcher of it flat, right out of the secondary....... I'm so ashamed.