Once again, reusing yeast

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Once again, reusing yeast

Post by Fraoch »

I collected yeast after 2ndary and added distilled water, the idea was to wash etc, except i never got round to the washing part and so my collection of Wyeast London 3 sat in the fridge for a few months with the distilled water on top. So what d'ya reckon??? reuse or not?????? By the way its in a capped bottle.
entguy
Light Lager
Light Lager

test it

Post by entguy »

why not make an equal volume of sterile boiled 1040 - 1060 wort(depending on how low gravity you think that yeast solution is), mix with yeast, see what happens? if it goes, it goes, eh?
andytv
Double IPA
Double IPA

Similar Concern

Post by andytv »

I had a similar concern the past, and i did what "entguy" suggested. I tried it out by preparing a starter. After a few hours, the starter was bubbling just fine. My only other concern was that micorbes other than yeast could have been causing the reaction, but this was not he case, I used the starter to make a !@#$ good APA. I'm not sure what happens when the yeast sits upon trub/dead yeast for a long period of time, but it seems to stay alive (probably dormant). I'd take entguy's good advice and wash & pitch into a starter batch of wort.

Prosit

Andy
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

good on ya guys

Post by Fraoch »

Hoping you were going to say something like that, i figure that if you drop your beer to a 2nd vessel and obtain a clean crop then that yeast should be cleaner than the primary cake right??? Theres quite a lot of it so i really wanted to use it, I may have been overlooking something though. I'm glad you didnt say, NO!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for that,