Souring Wort -- second attempt

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Souring Wort -- second attempt

Post by Push Eject »

-- I'm asking this again as it seems we lost the posts from my previous attempt --
Has anyone tried brewing with soured wort?
For some stouts and lambics I understand it is necessary to achieve authenticity.
One handbook I found recommends cooling the wort (post mash/pre boil) to 125F in a sanitized bucket, adding 1/2 lb crushed pale malt and allowing to sit, sealed, in a warm place for 12 - 24 hours.
Then strain out grain and brew as usual.
Has anyone done this?
Any thoughts on this or any other method are much appreciated.
Cheers!
Ollie
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

as above

Post by Fraoch »

sorry mate, cant type it all out again, stupid computer keeps cutting me off. I've replied as quickly as i can to your original post, if you want to really pursue this flavour then email me on.

tiernan@froggy.com.au

i'd be very interested with your results.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Interesting...

Post by Push Eject »

Thanks, Fraoch. Ever try a full wort sour? Would that just be too over-powering?
Cheers
Fraoch
Double IPA
Double IPA

Lambic??

Post by Fraoch »

I've never tried Lambic , and living in australia, i'm not likely to, not until I get back to Europe that is. I'm a little wary of not controling the amount of souring by not boiling it "clean" as the beer will keep on going "off', and we've all had a dodgy pint before. I've gone and bought one of those tins that they sell as beer/syrups to do a quick boil up brew as a bulk beer. OK no more excuses, its what I started doing years ago but i find for the money and time they are good to experiment with. Maybe I'll go Lambic with this one, you've got me fired up. By the way, you must give me the results of your soured brew, I'm very interested.
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Roger - Wilco

Post by Push Eject »

You bet!
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

130f

Post by Freon12 »

Sour beer sounds yuky to me. O.K. The reason you would add the pale malt would be to introduce Lactobacillus that is found naturally in the malt husks. Any tempreture above 130f or so would kill most of the bugs your after. They like 130f so stabilize it and insulate the container to keep it warm as long as possible. Not only would I seal the bucket, but also put foil or plastic wrap directly on the surface to keep mold at a minimum. 15hrs for your first shot at this is good. In 15hrs it should smell dredful. Proceed like you said.
After primary fermintation add brettanomyces bruxelleis and lambicus. Or if you want super sour add them at the start with the yeast. I am not sure how to spell the correct bactria, but i'm close. That's all I know for sure.
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Sour cherries

Post by Freon12 »

I saw a sour cherry and stale hops lambic recipe.
Your shot at lambic!