Lagers vs yeast

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Lagers vs yeast

Post by brewmeisterintng »

OK, just how much yeast does a 5 gallon batch really take? Is it true that "the more the merrier"? I want to ensure that I do not under pitch.

James
Freon12
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Flask time.

Post by Freon12 »

Hi James,

I bought a magnetic stirer and a 2000ml flask. From that moment on, I have not had any slow start fermentation problems.

I buy the standard Whitelabs vial and add it to DME boiled in the flask. So, yes, the more the merrier (to a point). The number two thing was a stainless diffusser stone in the flask and the primary. Oxygen is key.

Check out some of the air filters and stuff for this at Morebeer.com. Fish pumps are cheap and work well for this.

I sometimes get away with just the air and a standard 50ml pitch. If the yeast is at its' active stage, you can still do well with small amounts if you don't "shock" the yeast by pitching it in a different tempreture or gravity wort.

I have had no activity for 12 hrs before and still came out very well with the lager strains.

Steve