How do I use an aeration hose?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

crueli07

How do I use an aeration hose?

Post by crueli07 »

I got this really cool book from my family for fathers day, it is like a mcguyver homebrew book. It has blueprints for an aeration hose in it. The only thing that it does not show you is how and when to use the aeration hose! I appreciate the help, thank you.
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

aeration hose

Post by brewmeisterintng »

Yeast needs oxygen to grow/ multiply so it is immediately before or after you pitch your yeast into the wort that aeration is required. I just pitch the yeast into the carboy and sit in a chair with the carboy on my lap tilted at a 45 degree angle and shake the crap out of it getting as much air mixed with the wort as possible. I have read about air/ oxygen stones but really haven't given it too much thought. Hope this helps

Regards,

James
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

One of the standard methods is to use an aquarium air pump pushing air through a sterile filter (to keep out airborne nasties). On the other end of the hose you could use a sintered stone to make really fine bubbles--this end goes in the wort. Something like this:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16607

Some people also give it a blast of pure O2.

I do it another way since I pump out of my kettle. I use an aeration system and stone in conjunction with my plate chiller--cool and aerate in one step on it's way to the fermenter.
crueli07

Thanks for the help

Post by crueli07 »

I really appreciate the responses, they have been a big help.