Help, please

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

buzzbeer

Help, please

Post by buzzbeer »

I'm an extract brewer with 4 batches completeed to date. I would like to get a fuller body and somewhat creamier brew. Last 5 gal. batch had 3.3 lbs pale liquid extract, 3 lbs extra light DME and 1 lb rice extract. I did a primary for one week then secondary for 2 weeks. The clarity was excelent and the head retention is great. But not enough "body". Could you give me some ideas please?
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re: Help Please

Post by Push Eject »

Are you set against doing a partial mash? Even a 45 minute steeping of two pounds of grain at 155 before you start your boil will make a huge difference in flavor.

Just put the cracked grain in a mesh hop bag, put it in the hot water and put a lid on it. In 45 minutes pull the bag out (don't squeeze it) and toss the grain then start your boil as always.

Charlie
sixty8doors

Post by sixty8doors »

In 45 minutes pull the bag out (don't squeeze it) and toss the grain then start your boil as always.
Ive actually always squeezed what I could with the back of my spoon and Ive never had a bad batch. Whats the reasoning behind *not* squeezing the grain bag?
4/29 Batch: RAUCHBIER. Status: Bottled/Conditioning 6.1%
4/29 Batch: PILSNER. Status: Bottled/Conditioning 5.0%

#1 Fujistu Lifebook - 2.0GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB RAM, 1280x800
#2 Gateway FX510XL - 3.2GHz, 500GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 128 MB Vid
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re; Help Please

Post by Push Eject »

sixty8doors wrote:Ive actually always squeezed what I could with the back of my spoon and Ive never had a bad batch. Whats the reasoning behind *not* squeezing the grain bag?
Similar to over sparging grains you can leach bitter tannins from the hulls and find an astringent flavor in your finished beer.

If you're just pushing against the bag gently with the back of a spoon I'm sure you're fine. Don't go overboard and start wringing it out, though.
sixty8doors

Post by sixty8doors »

I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the tip. I dont ring these out, but I do usually push on the bag to get any extra juice out.

Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Re; Help Please

Post by Push Eject »

sixty8doors wrote:I learn something new everyday! Thanks for the tip. I dont ring these out, but I do usually push on the bag to get any extra juice out.
You're in Pasadena? Have you ever gone to a Maltose Falcons meeting? Great homebrew club in Woodland Hills.

Also, Lucky Baldwins for lunch... mmmm... Belgians... :)
sixty8doors

Post by sixty8doors »

If you go to the lil hole in the wall place called "Stuffed Sandwich" in San Gabriel, CA... theyve got hundreds of beers available from around the world. Also, try Galco'son York blvd in Los Angeles (just west of South Pasadena)... they also have a hundred varieties of beers and soda pops too.

kingfisher2

Post by kingfisher2 »

embrace the grain & try ...all grain!