Process

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

devster123

Process

Post by devster123 »

I have been thinking about making my next batch using this process, I will go through all the basic procedures with the primary and secondary fermenter and filtering, but I will carbonate the beer in a large enclosed vessel for a few weeks, then I will almost freeze the beer and once it is almost frozen I will filter and transfer it into the bottles, next I will inject a small amount of warm distilled water with a water pistol into the top of the bottle and cap it in order to seal the beer with no oxygen in the top so that the beer doesnt spoil. Do many people do this?, also is there anything that you guys could help me with in terms of something that might go wrong in this process etc. Thanks, Devin
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

I don't believe many people do the process you suggested. Personally, I think you'll actually oxidize the beer this way as the water would probably have dissolved oxygen in it.

If I understand your intent correctly, you're wanting to fill bottles with carbonated beer. Is that correct? If so, and if you keg your beer, then you can use a counter-pressure bottle filler to fill the bottles. The process would also involve purging the bottle w/ CO2, then filling and capping. When done correctly, you eliminate oxygen in the headspace.

My basic process is to keg from the fermenter and lager it at around 30F for at least 1 month (depending on the beer). This clears it up nicely without the need for filtering. Then if I bottle, I use the counter-pressure filler, and store the filled bottles at 30F also. I've entered many a beer in contests using this procedure and they lasted a surprising number of months without oxidation and without infection.

Lastly, filtering carbonated beer is a PITA! Once it hits the filter it foams wildly. I hear it can be done, but I've never had the patience :-)