How Much Corn Sugar Needed During Cooking?

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

How Much Corn Sugar Needed During Cooking?

Post by cleone »

Howdy,

Sorry for the beginner question here. I just finished by first batch of brew from a kit. Now looking to brew something more serious.

I can't seem to find how much corn sugar is needed during cooking for any recipes I have found. Is there a standard (at least average amount) rule of thumb?

I am preparing to brew a dunkleweizen.

Thanks in advance,
BillyBock
Imperial Stout
Imperial Stout

Post by BillyBock »

Well...if you want to maintain the strictest compliance with German tradition since you're making a Dunkelweizen, then you'll want to skip adding any sugar to your brewpot and use malt instead. Some kits will recommend adding sugar along with their syrup. I, and many others, feel this leads to an inferior product. The sugar will thin out the flavor profile of the brew--in some cases, some people may want this. It depends on what you're after. Replace the sugar with an equivalent amount of malt syrup and I feel you'll be happier with the product. However to answer your question, 1 pound of sugar in 5 gals will increase the gravity about 9 points. Other suggestions are to limit sugar additions to 10% or less of the total fermentables.

v/r
Bill
brewmeisterintng
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Go Slow Young Brewmaster

Post by brewmeisterintng »

I know that it is a very exciting hobby and that you are biting at the bit to create your own recipe. Even though beer tools is a great tool to help you do that, you are better off honing/ practicing your brewing skills with the tried and true recopies. Keep them simple I might add until you have a comfortable feeling about the whole process and know what to expect. Brewing is an art and takes time to produce a masterpiece.
-James-
cleone
Light Lager
Light Lager

No Sugar it Is

Post by cleone »

Thanks for the clarification and advice. I now understand that if no suguar is listed in the ingredients, then it not to be added.

Will stick to the recipe for this one!
ChrisinSalem

Sugar?

Post by ChrisinSalem »

I'm a newbie and here's my question: I've heard that instead of using sugar when priming I can use malt extract. Is there a ratio of malt extract to replact sugar and what is the process in using the malt extract in the priming process?
Chris Cardona
A life without faith is merely an existence.