help with my apple ale

Brewing processes and methods. How to brew using extract, partial or all-grain. Tips and tricks.

Moderator: slothrob

bluegrass
Light Lager
Light Lager

help with my apple ale

Post by bluegrass »

Hey all. I brewed an ale on 11-03-01 and in addition to my malt, I steeped 12 lbs. of sliced apples during the last 25 min. of my boil. A steady fermentation started on the second day and lasted until I racked to secondary on 11-13-01. I need to go ahead and bottle if it’s going to be drinkable by Christmas but I still have a bubble in my airlock every 3-4 minutes.Today is the 26th of Nov. Is it safe to bottle yet? I’ve never had a beer to go this long . Thanks so much and happy holidays to all.
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Remember that thing called a hydrometer ?

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

ALWAYS use a hydrometer to assess whether it is time to bottle or not ! If there is NO decrease in gravity for 3 consecutive days, you can go ahead and bottle. Bubbles in the airlock can be misleading due to temperature and pressure differentials, so don't rely on that as an indicator of readiness.
bluegrass
Light Lager
Light Lager

thanks

Post by bluegrass »

oh yeah, the hydrometer. I guess that makes sense. Thanks! Does a "fruit beer" naturally ferment longer though?
Mesa Maltworks
Strong Ale
Strong Ale

Fruit & Fermentation

Post by Mesa Maltworks »

Yes... sometimes a fermentation with fruit can take longer for 2 main reasons... 1) fruit contributes additional sugars to be fermented and 2)depending on the method used to entrain the fruit, mashing with or adding fruit to the boil for varying durations and or temperatures can produce more complex sugars that are harder for the yeast to utilize and can slow fermentation somewhat.
bluegrass
Light Lager
Light Lager

Thanks......

Post by bluegrass »

This being my first attempt at fruit beer makes me want to brew some mead. I hear that's a really long ferment. (-: Thanks a whole lot for all the help. This site is an invaluable resource for all of us!
Push Eject
Double IPA
Double IPA

Looong fermentations

Post by Push Eject »

Re: Mead - my wife took a whack at her first mead last April... it has yet to be bottled. She racks it once a month, but I believe the fermentation is done and she is just waiting for it to clear to her liking. Last time I took a hydrometer reading it was at 16%. Thank God for beer: I don't have that kind of patience! :)